Position: Investment Intern
Information Session: TBD
Application Deadline: Fall 2016
Start: Spring 2017
For those interested in business or investing, this is a position unlike any other in finance. The Yale Investments Office has widely recognized expertise in identifying and working with the world's top investors and is renowned for its creativity and innovation in the world of institutional investing, both of which have contributed to market-leading returns over the past twenty years. The Endowment currently has a broadly diversified portfolio of U.S. stocks, U.S. bonds, foreign stocks, real estate, leveraged buyouts, venture capital, and alternative investment strategies.
Interns at the Investments Office work closely with the full-time professionals who manage the University’s multi-billion dollar endowment, and will have opportunities to work with Chief Investment Officer David Swensen and Senior Director Dean Takahashi. In contrast to much more narrowly defined internships on Wall Street, interns at the Investments Office gain exposure to a wide variety of asset classes and investment strategies.
Past interns have:
1. Assisted in the screening, selection, and monitoring of investment managers through background research, manager meetings, and portfolio analysis.
2. Designed a metric and constructed a model to evaluate the merits of holding cash as part of Yale’s asset allocation.
3. Modeled how interest rate changes would affect Yale's oil and gas investments.
4. Assessed Yale's long-term private equity commitments and modeled their impact on the University’s liquidity position.
5. Researched the attractiveness of frontier markets in South America.
To learn more about the Yale Investments Office and how it manages the University Endowment, please read our annual report.
The internship program consists of a 10-week summer commitment as well as a 10-hour per week expectation during the second half of spring semester leading into the summer (exam periods and vacations are naturally not included in this expectation). Successful interns have been offered full-time positions upon graduation and/or the opportunity to continue interning at the office during the following school year(s).
We will begin accepting applications for the 2017 internship in the fall of 2016.